Archival and Information Studies
The Dual Master's programme Archival and Information Studies is open for application to all students with:
A university Bachelor’s diploma
The dual Master’s programme Archival and Information Studies is open for application to all students with a Bachelor’s diploma from the UvA or from another accredited university, in:
- Social Sciences
Students who have obtained a university bachelor’s degree in another field of study, and/ or students who have complete a Dutch HBO Bachelor, or equivalent, with applied emphasis in archival, information, documentation or library studies (eg. Former IDM or IDM/BDI) supplemented with a pre-Master's programme in Media and Information, can also apply. Their application will be assessed by the Examinations Board on a case by case basis. For information about the pre-master’s programme, please see: Schakelprogramma.
The level of the Bachelor's diploma from an international higher education institution must be equal to three years of Dutch university education (to be judged by the Examinations Board).
A selection process applies for all Dual Master's programmes. We will compare your file to that of other applicants. Distinguish yourself with solid basic academic knowledge in the field of study, sufficient test scores and a convincing and enthusiastic motivation letter. To ensure optimal preparation and maximum guidance before starting your Master's programme, register as early as possible.
Once you have completed the online registration process, we will ask you to submit the following documents, based on which the selection procedure will take place:
- a copy of your passport;
- a motivation letter including an overview of any experience already gained, in education or professional practice, in the fields of archival and information practices or interests;
- your CV, including two references (The names and contact details of two lecturers will suffice);
- your grade list (SIS printout for Humanities students; certified copy for all other students). For admission to a Dual Master's programme, your grade average must be 7.0 or higher. If it is lower, include an explanation;
- if applicable, an overview of courses yet to be completed (including title of thesis);
- if applicable, an explanation for any study-completion delay you have incurred; please include this in your motivation letter;
- a certified copy of your Bachelor's/Master's/Doctorate diploma (for non-Humanities students only).
If you wish to apply for a Dual MA programme, you are expected to have an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 7.0 (Dutch educational system). An indication of how this grade may be compared to grading systems in other countries is the following:
- B/3.3 (American system)
- 2.1 (an upper second class degree in the British system)
- C (ECTS-system)
English language requirements
New Master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at advanced academic level. Please carefully check whether you already meet the English language requirements or whether you may need to arrange to take an official English language test.