Heritage Studies: Heritage and Memory Studies
The Dual Master's programme in Heritage and Memory Studies is open for application to students with:
A university Bachelor’s degree
The Dual Master's programme Heritage and Memory Studies is open for application to students with a Bachelor’s degree from the UvA or from another accredited university, in:
- Cultural Studies
- History of Art and Architecture
- Archaeology and Prehistory
- Human Geography and Urban and Regional Planning
- Other relevant university Bachelor's degrees from the UvA or a recognized equivalent from another (foreign) accredited university (to be assessed by the Examinations Board).
It is not possible to apply to this programme with a degree from a (Dutch) University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool). We do not offer preparatory programmes for this Master's.
We ask applicants to demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- Basic demonstrable academic knowledge in the field of Heritage and Memory Studies.
- Good research skills at Bachelor’s level. You are able to conduct research independently (i.e. collecting material, applying theory, and writing a thesis).
- A desire to contribute eagerly and critically to the academic and interdisciplinary environment of our Graduate School, demonstrated in a convincing motivation letter in which you explain why you think you can successfully finalize this specific programme.
A selection process applies for all Professional Master's programmes. We will compare your file to that of other applicants. Distinguish yourself with solid basic academic knowledge in the field of study, sufficient test scores and a convincing and enthusiastic motivation letter. To ensure optimal preparation and maximum guidance before starting your Master's programme, register as early as possible.
Once you have completed the online registration process, we will ask you to submit the following documents, based on which the selection procedure will take place:
- a passport
- a motivation letter
- your CV, including two references (The names and contact details of two lecturers will suffice).
- your grade list (SIS printout for Humanities students; certified copy for all other students). For admission to a Dual Master's programme, your grade average must be 7.0 or higher. If it is lower, include an explanation.
- if applicable, an overview of courses yet to be completed (including title of thesis).
- if applicable, an explanation for any study-completion delay you have incurred; please include this in your motivation letter.
- a certified copy of your Bachelor's/Master's/Doctorate diploma (for non-Humanities students only).
- your Bachelor's thesis (or an essay/paper if your thesis is not yet complete); this text should be written in English.
- a brief description of the content of non-UvA courses that you have completed.
If you wish to apply for a Dual Master's programme, you are expected to have an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 7.0 (Dutch educational system). An indication of how this grade may be compared to grading systems in other countries is the following:
- B/3.3 (American system)
- 2.1 (an upper second class degree in the British system)
- C (ECTS-system)
English language requirements
New Master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at advanced academic level. Please carefully check whether you already meet the English language requirements or whether you may need to arrange to take an official English language test.