Literature, Culture and Society (Literary Studies)
The Master’s in Literature, Culture and Society is open for application to all students with:
A University’s Bachelor’s degree
The Master's in Literature, Culture and Society is open for application to all students holding a Bachelor’s degree from the UvA or from another accredited university in:
- English language and culture
- French language and culture
- German language and culture
- Italian language and culture
- Dutch language and culture
- Scandinavian languages and cultures
- Spanish language and culture
- Slavonic languages and culture
- European Studies
All Bachelor’s programmes should contain at least 12 ECTS in literature or culture in the language the candidate wishes to specialise in.
- Other Bachelor’s programme in the Humanities, provided your Bachelor’s programme contains at least 30 ECTS in the language you wish to specialise in (or the relevant equivalent).
Hbo-bachelor: not eligible
It is not possible to apply to this programme with a degree from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (hbo). We do not offer a preparatory programme (schakelprogramma) for this Master’s.
To apply for this Master's programme you will need to upload a variety of application documents. An overview and explanation of the different documents can be found in the document Application documents explained. Please see: Submit your application.
Don't forget to mention the language you will be specialising in in your letter of motivation.
English language requirements
New Master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at advanced academic level. Please carefully check whether you already meet the English language requirements or whether you may need to arrange to take an official English language test.