Literary Studies (research)
In this research-intensive programme, you will study literature as a cultural practice that is capable of (re)shaping the world. Literature offers critique and provides creative answers to new and old questions. You will examine literary texts and literary culture from a transnational, theoretical and historical perspective.
Literature as a dynamic cultural process
The Research Master's Literary Studies is rooted in cutting-edge literary studies research and the tools offered by this field. It explores the cultural relevance of metaphors, symbols, aesthetic experience, narrative and perspective. You will analyse how literature operates in society and investigate why meanings with particular social and political implications are attributed to literary texts. We focus on the dynamic cultural processes in which people negotiate key issues such as identity, morality, justice and belonging, and you will study how these processes produce new connections between different literatures and discourses.
Develop your own research trajectory
The Research Master’s in Literary Studies offers you the freedom to focus on a topic that fascinates you. While the core courses provide a clear grounding in both literary theory and cultural history, the programme encourages you to set out your own research path. We offer a broad selection of electives and our tutorial set-up allows you to explore topics in-depth and in close collaboration with a small group of students and a Faculty member. The specialisation the programme provides makes for excellent preparation for a PhD trajectory upon graduation.
Why study Literary Studies at the University of Amsterdam?
- Amsterdam is an international urban hub with a lively literary culture.
- Self-driven research: You focus on your own research interests and develop an individual research trajectory.
- Crucial methodologies: Taught by teams of leading researchers, our core courses ground your research in methodological fundamentals.
- Language concentration: We offer over 50 electives in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Scandinavian, and Slavonic literatures.
- Dutch literature: This is the only Research Master’s worldwide that offers more than 10 courses in Dutch literature.
- Exceptional Research environment: The programme draws from the richness of the University’s internationally-ranked Faculty of Humanities.
- Our diverse cultural partners include Perdu, De Balie, Goethe Institut, Stedelijk Museum and many more.
The Research Master's programme Literary Studies is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in Literary Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our factsheet.
- Degree programme
- Research MA Literary Studies (research)
- Regular study programme
- 120 ECTS, 24 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- CROHO code