Religious Studies (Research MA)
The Research Master's programme Religious Studies is open to all students with:
A university Bachelor’s diploma
The Research Master's in Religious Studies is open to all students with a Bachelor’s diploma from the UvA, or a recognized equivalent from another (foreign) accredited university, in:
- Religious Studies
- a Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences or Law, provided that the student has obtained at least 24 ETCS in Religious Studies.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences, provided that the student has obtained at least 24 ETCS in Religious Studies.
You will be considered for admission to this Master’s programme if you have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the aforementioned fields of study and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- Basic demonstrable academic knowledge in the field of Religious Studies. If you do not have a substantial amount of credits/academic knowledge related to the field of study (at least 24 ECTC credits in Religious Studies, to be decided by the selection committee) you will not be admitted.
- Excellent research skills at Bachelor’s level. You are able to conduct research independently (i.e. collecting material, applying theory, and writing a thesis).
- Strong academic interest in the history and presence of religious diversity and in interdisciplinary research cutting across methodological and traditional disciplinary boundaries, demonstrated in a convincing motivation letter in which you explain why you think you can successfully finalise this specific programme.
It is not possible to apply to this programme with a degree from a (Dutch) University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool). We do not offer a preparatory programme (schakelprogramma) for this MA.
Because of the limited amount of places available, all prospective students are subject to a selection process. We will compare your file to that of other applicants. Distinguish yourself with solid basic academic knowledge in the field of study, sufficient test scores and a convincing and enthusiastic motivation letter.
If you wish to apply for a Research Master's programme, you are expected to have an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least an
- A/3.6 (American system)
- 2.1 HONS (an upper second class honours degree in the British system)
- B (ECTS-system), or
- 7.5 (Dutch system)
English language requirements
New Master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at advanced academic level. Please carefully check whether you already meet the English language requirements or whether you may need to arrange to take an official English language test.