Psychological service for PhDs
PhD’s can now use the services of the Student Psychologists Office. This service entails short-term help to you as a PhD in case of (psychological) problems that influence your PhD research or your personal life.
During the first interview, an assessment is made of the nature, severity and background of the problems you encounter, and the type of support that is of most benefit to you. This can be a number of individual meetings with one of our psychologists. Another option is participation in a training, either a training that is open to PhDs and students or a training that is specifically designed for PhDs.
The conclusion of the first meeting might be that we are not able to offer you the counselling that you need. In that case, we can support you in finding the right professional. Sometimes this will result in a referral to Mental Health Care. To make sure your Health Insurance covers the costs, you need an official referral from a GP.
We mainly use evidence- based methods and techniques stemming from the Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy.
The meetings are confidential, unless you indicate in writing that it is important to you that information about you or your case is shared with a specific professional or institution.*
Please notice: when you need psychological help immediately or in case of crisis contact your GP or the UvA- studentenartsen (020 5252878).
- for an individual meeting: please contact us at 020-525 2599.
- for an overview of our workshops / training: www.uva.nl/studentpsychologists > Groups, workshops and trainings.
- for a training for PhDs and regular students jointly: consult your UvA psychologist first.
- for the training specifically designed for PhDs: contact us at 020-525 2599.
* We might break this code when we suspect there is a profound suspicion that you will hurt yourself or someone else.