For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Application and admission

Dutch language requirements

If you would like to do a Master's degree programme taught in Dutch, you must meet the Dutch language requirements. You can either meet these requirements if the exemption criteria below apply to you, or, if they do not, you can fulfil the Dutch language requirements by successfully taking a language proficiency examination in Dutch.

  • Proof of Dutch language proficiency 

    (other than the NT2-II exam) 

    The following documents are accepted as proof of sufficient command of the Dutch language, and therefore exempt you from taking the language proficiency examination:

    • Belgium: Flemish Community: Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs
    • Germany: Abitur with Niederländisch as Prüfungsfach or Leistungsfach, University Zwischenprüfung Niederländisch
    • Suriname: VWO diploma from Suriname,  Propedeuse diploma (Anton de Kom Universiteit), or HAVO with an HBO propedeuse.
    • Dutch professional education: MBO or HBO diploma
    • Dutch primary and secondary education: primary school and three years in secondary school in the Netherlands with at least a grade of 6 on the final transcript
    •  A Dutch-taught Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch academic university
    • Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language (CNaVT): Profiel Academische Taalvaardigheid (PAT) and Profiel Taalvaardigheid Hoger Onderwijs (PTHO)
    • The Netherlands Antilles and Aruba: VWO diploma or any diploma from a Dutch institute of higher education
    • United Kingdom: British General Certificate of Education (GCE) with an advanced level (A-level) in Dutch, International GCE with First Language Dutch
    • Other diplomas: European Baccalaureate with Dutch as first or second language, International Baccalaureate with Dutch A at Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL), International Baccalaureate with Dutch B at Higher Level (HL), Certificate of exemption given by the director of the Institute for Dutch Language Education (INTT) of the University of Amsterdam

    If you do not possess any of the documents above, then you must take the Dutch as Second Language (NT2-II) state examination.

  • Can I take a Dutch language test online?

    There is currently no on-site education at the UvA. Courses of the Institute for Dutch Language Education (INTT) will continue online. The teaching practice and teaching method are adapted to the special circumstances in which we now live but the course content and learning objectives remain the same. For more information, visit the INTT website.

    The deadline for submitting the Dutch language test is 1 August.

  • Duration of the course

    The course takes place four times a year. If you are an absolute beginner, it is recommended that you start the Dutch language course in September. It will take you approximately one year before you have a sufficient command of the Dutch language to pass the required state examination 'Dutch as a second language, programme II' (NT2-II). 

    There is a special summer course for German students. Experience has shown that most German students are able to learn Dutch within two months. The INTT summer course is a six-week course. Approximately 75 per cent of students pass the state examination after this course.

  • HBO students

    Students who have completed an English-language professional education (HBO) propedeuse (first-year diploma) or HBO degree programme can take an intensive Dutch language course at the Institute for Dutch Language Education (INTT) of the UvA in order to prepare for the NT2-II exam. 

    Proof of Dutch language proficiency:

    • Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language (CNaVT):  Profiel Academische Taalvaardigheid (PAT) and  Profiel Taalvaardigheid Hoger Onderwijs (PTHO).  ITNA certificaat, B2 (Inter Universitaire Taaltest voor Anderstaligen).

Preparing abroad

To find information about preparing for the NT2-II Dutch language proficiency exam in your own country, please visit the Study in Holland website.

English language requirements 

If you are looking to enrol in a Master's programme taught in English and would like to find out about the accompanying English language requirements, please follow the link below.