For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Submit certified documents

If you have been (conditionally) admitted to our (pre-)Master's programme, you can only start the programme in September if you have graduated from your Bachelor's before the deadline that applies to you. If you did not obtain your degree in the Netherlands, you need to send us certified copies of your transcripts and degree certificates, in order for us to verify your graduation.

Dutch previous education

If you are an applicant who has obtained their Bachelor's degree at a Dutch university (including the UvA), you need to inform the Admissions Office of your graduation via the form below as soon as your university has registered your Bachelor’s programme graduation date. We can then verify your graduation and finalise your Master’s application. This graduation date should be before 1 September. UvA students can consult the student website for information on requesting a certificate degree.

If you have obtained your Bachelor's diploma at a Dutch university, you do not have to submit any certified documents.

It may take several weeks for your university to register your graduation. Have you completed all courses of your Bachelor's programme, but is your graduation not yet registered and are you afraid that this will not happen in time? Then ask a representative of your university to send a graduation statement to You can also send a graduation statement certified by your home institution to our postal address.

Without proof of graduation, we cannot finalise your enrolment and send you a statement of admission for the Master's programme.

Non-Dutch previous education

If you obtain or have obtained your Bachelor's diploma at a non-Dutch university, you need to submit the following certified documents:

  • Certified copies of both your original and translated higher education diploma(s).
  • Certified copies of both your original and translated transcript(s).

A certified copy is an official copy of the original document with an original stamp and signature of a representative of your home institution or a notary. This is therefore not the same as a photocopy of a certified document. Please do not send us the original documents as we are not responsible in case any documents get lost in the process. Furthermore, we are not able to return you the documents you sent. Transcripts, diplomas and graduation statements (if applicable) in any language other than English, Dutch, French or German should be submitted in their original language along with an official and certified translation made by a sworn translator.

What is a certified document? Check out the video below.

Deadlines for sending certified documents

  • For applicants with a non-EU/EER nationality

    Deadline: 1 July

    This deadline applies to applicants who require a residence permit for study. Please send us:

    • your certified diploma or graduation statement issued by your home university stating that you completed your degree with an exact date of graduation which should be before 1 September; and
    • certified and completed transcript(s) of records.

    If you do not comply with the deadlines that apply to your situation, the UvA cannot submit a residence permit application on your behalf.

  • For applicants with an EU/EER nationality

    Deadline: 1 August

    If your diploma will not be issued before 1 August, please send in an official graduation statement before 1 August. In this graduation statement, your university needs to declare that you have fulfilled all graduation requirements and have graduated from the Bachelor's programme, stating your exact graduation date. This date cannot be later than 1 September. Please note that we do not accept an expected date of graduation. The graduation statement needs to be signed and stamped by your home institution.

How to submit your certified documents

Make sure that we receive the certified copies of your documents well before the deadline. Once your documents have been processed and accepted, a checkmark will appear next to ‘Accepted to the Master's programme’ in your Enrolment Checklist.

  • Through a secure portal
    We accept certified documents sent to us through a secure portal, like Parchment, Digitary, Hear, E-Script or Gradintelligence. The documents can be sent by yourself or by your university to Please note: we can only accept certified documents sent by students if they are submitted through a secure portal. Unsure whether your university's secure portal is accepted? Contact us
  • Via email (partner universities only)
    Check if your university is a partner of the University of Amsterdam on our world map. If so, please ask a representative of your university to send us your certified graduation statement/diploma and your certified (complete) transcript of records. 
    Documents should be sent to certifieddocumentsma-fgw@uva.nlImportant: In order to guarantee the verity of the digital documents, we do not accept digital documents from a partner university sent by students and/or student email addresses.
  • Hard copies
    If you are not able to send us your certified documents digitally in the manner described above, you can send us your certified graduation statement/diploma and complete transcript of records by post:

    University of Amsterdam
    Graduate School of Humanities, Admissions Office
    PO Box 93055
    1090 BB Amsterdam, The Netherlands

    Please note that if you would like to send your mail registered, do not send your parcel to our PO Box. (Only) if you are unable to send your documents to the PO Box, send them to:

    University of Amsterdam
    Graduate School of Humanities, Admissions Office
    Turfdraagsterpad 15-17
    1012 XT Amsterdam, The Netherlands

If your documents are not properly certified (for example plain photocopies), we cannot accept them.